Three D Graphics
ProductsOnline StoreProduct SupportMessage BoardDownloadsCompanyContact Us
Financial Analysis ToolsEnterprise Solutions Product Support

Testimonials"
206 posts from 596 users

[ Admin ]   [ Mod ]
Macro to retrieve report fields to use in chart titles
Three D Graphics Forum Index » CRChart Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
jlp765

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Macro to retrieve report fields to use in chart titles Reply with quote

How can I make up a title, subtitle or footnote
by combining fixed text with report fields, like

Some leading text @FIELD {Field Name}~ some trailing text

so is there a macro that retrieve formula fields, parameter fields, group_name fields, etc from the report?
TDGMgr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have a built in macro to do this.
If you're looking to insert a single numeric field into a title, it is something we could do (for example, if there was a field called SALES that equaled 120 in a particular graph, we could make a subtile that says "Sales today were 120 !!").
But we could not easily put a TEXT field into a title string.

Feel free to email me at crchart@threedgraphics.com to discuss more.

Regards

Last edited by TDGMgr on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:54 am; edited 1 time in total
jlp765

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Macro to retrieve report fields to use in chart titles Reply with quote

So to confirm, I take it that it is not possible to have dynamic precision of the Y axis,

by having a formula (for example @test) that looks at the data set and calculates what the precision should be
(eg, if values in the data are 99.1, 99.23, 99.123, 99.4 then the formula would determine that the precision should be 3 to handle the 99.123 value),

and then having that formula passed to the chart, so that if the chart has the text in the footer field like

@PY {@test}

(or some method by which a formula can be passed to the macro)

then the precision for the Y-axis would be 3 in this case, but for different data in the dataset, it would change depending on how the formula calculated the required precision.

James
TDGMgr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, this is really a different question!
The answer to this question is YES. Of course you can pass in fields or forumulas which will act as runtime parameters for our CRChart macros. Infact, there is a whole section in our manual on how to do it.

Beyond that, we actually have some improved auto-precision functionality built into CRChart, so your macro might not even be necessary. If you tell me which version of CR you use, I can point out how to activate it.

jlp765

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Macro to retrieve report fields to use in chart titles Reply with quote

My version is CR11

I am currently evaluating CRCharts.
TDGMgr

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you send me a sample .rpt (saved WITH data) ?? Thats the easiest way for me to see exactly what you want to do. I'll fix it up (hopefully) with CRChart and send it back to you.

My email is crchart@threedgraphics.com

TDGMgr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, have you tried macro @NAP ???
From manual:
This macro enables/disables improved numeric auto precision. When enabled, CRChart will do smarter precision calculations of values from the dataset and produce numeric axis values such as 0.09, 2.5, 22 rather than 0.09,2.50,22.00, for example

http://www.threedgraphics.com/tdg/products/tools/crchart/html_docs/docs/nap.htm
Page 1 of 1